Sunday 30 December 2012

Egyptian Renaissance


Dear Reader

I would like to start by saying that this is not a political article. We will not be discussing in this publication anything outside the scope of FASHION. But as I sit here on the precipice of completing the first issue ever of Cairo Fashion Report, I feel I must make an exception if only to introduce this journey that I am about to embark on and would like to invite you all to join me for as long as we are allowed to do so. Consider this to be the first and only letter from the editor to you the reader.

As the name of this publication implies we are talking about Cairo, our beloved city and capital to our nation. I would personally feel like a hypocrite if I didn’t acknowledge, at least once, the fact that this beautiful city is going through turbulent times and events are transpiring on a daily basis that are changing our lives for better or for worse. Some people are sure of where they stand and what they are going to do while others might be confused and afraid of what might happen. Amidst all of this I choose to be hopeful. 

I have observed many of these changes in the past two years, some made me laugh, while others made me cry, but most importantly I felt something and still do towards my country and my city, a sensation I have not felt before January 2011. One of the changes that I have observed and have taken great pleasure in doing so over the past two years is what I can only describe as the renaissance of the arts in Egypt, and especially noticeable in Cairo. The underground music scene, the fine arts, the performing arts, visual arts, stand up comedy, writing, photography and, my favorite one of them all, the FASHION scene. 

The revolution with all the good and bad that has come since has sparked not only the creativity within individuals but the uncontrollable desire to express that creativity and share it with others. So here we are at one of the many crossroads we will meet. I choose to be hopeful and want to dedicate my time and effort to celebrate this Egyptian Renaissance. 

So let me say we are not here to sway opinions or speculate on things to come but instead we choose to celebrate and challenge the ever-growing FASHION scene in Cairo and if we can offer some form of entertainment along the way then we have accomplished our goals. I personally would like to invite you to join me on this journey.

Abdallah O. Rushdi
The Cairo Fashion Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment